Do you feel the need to inhale deeply? Do you feel that your breathing is very short at times? Are you short of breath when moving too fast? These are all sign of bad breathing.
Breathing properly is very important for optimal health. However, many of us are not aware of this and don’t breathe correctly.
Why don’t we breathe properly?
- Exercise help us focus on breathing. However, we generally don’t get enough exercise.
- We sit for many hours. This makes it difficult to expand the stomach or fill the lungs.
- Stress of everyday life makes our breathing fast and shallow.
- Contracting the stomach for too long leads to upper chest breathing and prevents movement of the diaphragm. This, in addition, causes us to accumulate tension.
What are the benefits of deep, conscious breathing?
- Helps to release toxins from the body, detoxifying it.
- Decreases the release of cortisol and adrenaline. Releases stress and anxiety, helps to control fear and anger, helping to control emotions and to react better to difficult situations.
- Adequately oxygenates the body.
- Generates inner peace and calms the mind.
- Allows greater concentration.
- Strengthens the diaphragm. Likewise, using the diaphragm helps to massage and move organs, helping digestion and detoxification.
- Strengthens the lungs.
- Activates the parasympathetic nervous system through the phrenic nerve, located on both sides of the diaphragm.
- Helps us stay in the present and feel alive.