Do you have sugar cravings?
Sugar is addictive. When we consume sugar, the brain releases opiates and dopamine, the happiness hormone. The release of dopamine makes us feel a peak of happiness, which we want to feel again. This leads us to want to consume more sugar.
Here are 10 simple tips that will help you overcome your sugar addiction.
Tips to overcome sugar addiction:
- Reduce or eliminate caffeine – Caffeine causes dehydration and blood sugar swings, which makes sugar cravings more frequent.
- Drink water – Many times sugar cravings are a sign of dehydration.
- Exercise – Exercise helps to balance blood sugar levels, increases energy and reduces stress.
- Sleep well and relax – When we are tired, the body looks for the fastest form of energy it can use: sugar.
- Eat sweet vegetables and fruits – They are nutritious and reduce cravings.
- Keep healthy snacks on hand – They will prevent you from snacking on processed foods.
- Eliminate low-fat (or fat-free) products – To compensate for the lack of flavor and fat, these foods contain large amounts of sugar.
- Avoid processed foods – The vast majority contain added sugar.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners – Use stevia, or other sweeteners like maple syrup, agave syrup, or dried fruits.
- Work on yourself – Cravings are related to lifestyle and emotions. Find the psychological causes of your cravings, reduce stress, and work on yourself. This will help you find balance in your life.